Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Flowers from the blooms of war.


I enjoy taking pictures of flowers, I think I get it from my grandfather, during my younger years I remember asking my granddaddy if I might have a look at his "war albums". They are a series of scrapbooks that he made from things collected and photographs he took during World War II. In them are horrific images, burnt cities, soldiers grimy with the mud of war, newspaper clippings, commendations, millions of Reich Marks. Then he showed me another album of photographs, beautiful images of mountains, National Parks, landscapes and the most beautiful images of flowers. Those are the images that I liked the most, he inspired me to learn more about photography.

He seldom spoke of his experience in Europe. I recall when Saving Private Ryan came out I asked him if he was going to see it, his response still gives me chills. He looked me in the eye and said "Grandson, I lived through that movie once, I have no want to live it again".

Although intriguing the images of war, the flowers and his gift for capturing them, is just one of the many things I love of my grandfather to this very day.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kara said...

Beautiful photo, beautiful words.

Well done Mister C.

heather said...

so moving...my grandfather too wont speak too often of the darkness of his experience, but ever so often you can see the echos of the pain on his face.

this is a beautiful picture